[Kde-pim] KDE 4.8, Virtuoso at 130% CPU for hours now - how can I help find the issue?

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Sun Jan 29 17:46:49 GMT 2012

On Saturday 28 January 2012 17.55:11 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> I'm aware of those problems and will try to fix them. The pim sprint will
> be  one opportunity for this. So far I was busy getting it to work
> basically, I'm sorry that it still kinda sucks (It wasn't initially
> apparent to me how much it sucks).

Actually I suspect that Nepomuk is responsible for much of the grief people
directed at Akonadi, because it is typically not easy for the user to detect
which component is actually causing the issues.

Also, while it is known that Nepomuk indexing can cause high loads and will
then slow down the entire machine and cause massive load for virtuoso, which
then often gets attributed to Akonadi, there are also some other interactions
when Nepomuk is not indexing.

These cause Nepomuk to "stand on the feet of Akonadi" causing sluggish
response issues in Kontact for me, where sometimes fetching a message can take
dozens of seconds, occasionally it'll hang for a very long time.

Where that bottleneck originates, I do not know.

But when Nepomuk is turned off, I virtually never see any of these issues, and
Akonadi & Kontact are fast and responsive even on a fairly old laptop.

Naturally not having an address book kind of sucks for a PIM client, so in the
end I typically end up enabling Nepomuk again, and then again Akonadi becomes
slow & sluggish on occasion.

Looking at this would be a good activity for the PIM Sprint in two weeks.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve