[Kde-pim] A sigh

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Jan 28 21:05:14 GMT 2012

Hello kdepim heroes

With all the bad problems I have using KMail2, I thought I would look in
~/Mail where my maildir resource points to, and it is completely empty. So I
started looking for my mail, and it is in ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data.

WTF!!!!???

I have so far trusted akonadi to store my data where it is configured to, and
for contacts and calendars I find that to be true. Not so for mails? I have
learned and trusted in the past that akonadi is not destructible, but can I
still trust that? Obviously, I can NOT trust that mail data is placed where it
SHOULD BE :-(

I was looking for my mail, because kmail2 have suveir problems handling read
and delivered states, so I wanted to tjek if there was actually numerous
copies of each mail.

Every time mail is checked, a lot of mails are copied an exta time (those that
have been moved  as a result of filtering it seems) if what kmail shows is to
trust. Maybe not so, but that is a VERY bad feeling. It is important to me
that my mail is stored in a safe place, and that I can have trust in it
staying there.

I started from scratch, with a blank directory for kmail to start from, and
imported all my mail from archieves created by kmail (1), and added most
configuration bit by bit, as very little was carried over by the migration,
which also claimed to have failed. It started out so nice, and although
getting everything imported and indexing done took a long day, I felt
optimistic after restarting KDE to have nepomuk back in functional state
(starting and stopping it is not fully working).

There are nice things to say about kmail2 in kde 4.8 - for example that I was
able to import my mail at all. It also feels very fast and nice in usage. But
the problems are unbearable - first and foremost the fact that mail is not
stored where it is meant to, next the infinite duplication of messages.

As opposed to kmail, korganizer seems to work very well compared to the older
version, which is one of my motivations to do the update - i was very happy
with kmail 1, although the lack of maintenace started to show.

I will see if disabling all my filters makes using kmail2 just close to
bearable for a while, hoping that the improvements will continue, and kde
ending up with a functional mail client again at some point in the future.

--
Anders