[Kde-pim] Speed of storing large numbers of records, and sizes of akonadiserver and dbus-daemon

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Thu Feb 23 18:50:45 GMT 2012

Hi,

I've been doing some tests pushing large numbers of records into
Akonadi, after noticing some rather big variances in the time taken to
push 500 Contacts. Before diving into numbers, it is worth saying that
this set of numbers is from one set of experiments - the numbers from
other runs do vary wildly, but only in a bad way. Also, I've tried
extended runs with virtuoso disabled, and that *seems* to make little
difference, at least to a first approximation.

- When I started, I was spending more time fetching the data from
Exchange (3s) than writing it to Akonadi (about 1s).

- After getting through 20% of my 466k records, the Akonadi write time
was around 30s (Exchange fetching still at 3s).

- After getting through 33%, the Akonadi write time is about 32s
(Exchange at 3s).

- After 38%, the Akonadi time is about 70 s (Exchange at 3s).

(System restart)

- After 39%, the Akonadi time is about 70 s (Exchange at 3s).

- After 51%, 91s.

- After 66%, 121s.

As you can see from the attached graph, the time increases linearly
with the number of records added. I wonder if we are missing an index
on a table somewhere? Also, if I were to try to artificially dive the
records into Contact subfolders, is that likely to help? FWIW, this is
all with Kontact 4.8.0 on Kubuntu oneiric.

Anyway, because of this issue, so far, I've never actually managed to
get an entire set of records for my GAL down from Exchange :-(, so
input welcome.

Thanks, Shaheed

P.S. Also, at times, I've seen the memory consumption of each of
akonadiconsole, akonadiserver, dbus-daemon and my resource grow to
well over 1GB in size. That's not the cause of these problems since at
other times during these tests, their memory footprint is
unremarkable.