[Kde-pim] Problem with bulk fetching of items with 4.8

Del delonly at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 08:43:08 GMT 2012

Hello Shaheed,

On Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:00:47 PM Shaheed Haque wrote:
> The piece you are missing is the amount of data, and the speed with
> which it can be fetched. On my system, I can fetch about 500 items
> every 50 seconds, and there are about 500k items to fetch, so a full
> download takes ~50k seconds or about 14 hours.

That performance looks quite good to me. Few companies will have larger
address books. It will be interesting to hear how well akonadi and nepomuk
scales to that amount of items.

> I have this design in mind...
>
> 1. When I start fetching the collection, I will note the starting time
> using a collection attribute to persist the information (in case of
> needing to restart the machine).
>
> 2. I have an incremental fetch phase during which I fetch data in
> batches (of 500 items). After each batch, I "bookmark" where I got to.
> If I shutdown my machine, on restart, I resume the fetch using the
> bookmark.
>
> 3. When I get to the end (I've never actually managed to get to that
> point yet!), I hope to delete all the items with a creation date prior
> to the recorded start time.
>
> I hope that make sense? Anyway, it is the query for this last part
> that I am stuck on - or some other better idea!

Your scheme looks good to me. As I understand, it is necessary  to fetch all
items for every sync regardless of how you design it, due limited query
capabilities for the Global address list in Exchange. Do you know how Outlook
handles this issue?

I am a bit concerned how it will work out on the client side. How often will
akonadi attempt to sync the Global address list? I imagine that most clients
would not want as frequent synchronisation of the Global address list as for
the other data.

I hope to get the time to test the Akonadi Exchange synchronisation the coming
weeks. I will need to compile for RHEL6. I am not sure how much of a hassle it
is getting up-to-date kde-pim built and running on it, so pointers to
documentation is appreciated.

Thanks for your efforts!
Del