[Kde-pim] From a users point of view ....

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Feb 23 21:11:25 GMT 2012

?

> > 2) Use a different mail client.
>
> While I really liked kontact and believe in the idea to share data
> across various applications, I would not like leave, like many people
> did in last month.
> Besides that, unfortunately it's not that easy. Besides the hassle to
> get everything transfered and set up, and learned to use it - there is
> just not much choice:
> 1. Outlook : windows only
> 2. Apple Mail : yep, this is my backup email program when kontact
> doesn't work. btw: version upgrades no problem, slick ,easy nice to
> use , but mac os only
> 3. evolution : hm, maybe
> 4. thunderbird : if nothing else exists, but looks relly ugly under kde
> and cluttered
> 5. Lotus Notes :
> 6. Chandler : looks very interesting and promising - not develped
> anymore since 2009
> I spent some time the past few days searching for an alternative, so, I
> would love find one.

Did I get it right that you think that all other mail clients are even
less suitable for you? Are they broken by design?

Sorry could not resist this one.

That aside:

How about KDEPIM 4.4.5? You should be able to use your existing data with
it.

> > 3) Or use a distro that means stable when saying stable such as
> > Debian Stable.
> > A distro that still carries KDEPIM 1 as of 4.4.5. Even the
> > development branches of Debian namely Wheezy and Sid - when you feel
> > adventurous - seem to be rather stable to me and still carry KDEPIM 1
> > for now. With Debian Stable you can still use KDEPIM 1 for at least
> > one and a half year, in my estimation at least two years to come. Of
> > cause there may be other distributions like maybe Centos that may
> > carry old KDEPIM even longer.
>
> Chancing a distro is not really an option, although they are all linux,
> there are still differences one has to get used to again.

Doing a decision to relieve your frustration with KDEPIM 2 by using
another distro with KDEPIM 1 or using a different mail client is not an
option for you?

Then I see two options for you:

1) Try to compile KDEPIM 4.4.5 for yourself.

2) Help to make KDEPIM 2 rock for you.

You might not know the exact steps for any of the two options, but I am
sure they can be learned.

But insisting on "I am not willing to change" while demanding that KDEPIM
developers make your KDEPIM life comfortable again will not help you much
in my opinion.

DonĀ“t get me wrong. I do think its important to stabilize KDEPIM 2. But
from what I can see KDEPIM and Nepomuk developers are already working on
it. If you want to speed up the process either help or pay for
developments and bugfixing. Otherwise it will take the time it takes until
KDEPIM 2 is ready and no repeated complaining here will contribute
anything to reduce that time by even one second.

If you found a new issue that is not yet reported or known by all means
report it, but otherwise either help, bear with it or use an older KDEPIM
release or another mail client.

Thanks,