[Kde-pim] Maildir directory structure [Re: A sigh]

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Feb 11 13:52:32 GMT 2012

Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> This was invented before my time, but AFAIK this way of storing
> subfolders was invented by the KMail authors. Those .foo.directory
> directories were already used for subfolders of mbox-folders long before
> KMail supported maildir so this has nothing to do with maildir.

I was looking again on this and the related bug, like
https://bugs.kde.org/289183 .

The problem is that it is not straightforward to support both the KMail
style maildir layout and the dovecot style Maildir++.

For the following structure:
Folder1
  Folder2
     Folder3

KMail(1&2) uses this:

Folder1
  cur
  new
  tmp
.Folder1.directory  - contains the subfolders of Folder1
  cur
  new
  tmp
  Folder2
     cur
     new
     tmp
  .Folder2.directory - subfolder for Folder2
     Folder3

Dovecot would need this as:
Folder1
  cur
  new
  tmp
  .Folder2
     cur
     new
     tmp
  .Folder2.Folder3
     cur
     new
     tmp

As  you can see they are completely different. In dovecot style sub-
subdirectories are not layed out as such on the file system.

Sincerely I'd just keep the current layout as it is and not bother with
"real" subdirectories.
This will make bug 289183 a wontfix and will require user intervention to
import completely the folder structure.

>> What is sure that this is not new to KMail2, KMail1 did use the same
>> maildir layout.
>
> This is not entirely true. In KMail1 top-level local folders were stored
> in ~/Mail, but not in ~/.Mail.directory. OTOH, in case of the IMAP and
> dIMAP caches the caches were stored in ~/.<accountID>.directory folders
> next to empty <accountID> folders.

True and this is something we can change indeed, as KMail2 still support a
toplevel folder that has only sub-directories directly and can't contain
messages itself (like the ~/Mail folder).

Andras