[Kde-pim] Maildir directory structure [Re: A sigh]

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Feb 11 14:33:39 GMT 2012

Lørdag den 11. februar 2012 15:52:32 Andras Mantia skrev:
> KMail(1&2) uses this:
>
> Folder1
>   cur
>   new
>   tmp
> .Folder1.directory  - contains the subfolders of Folder1
>   cur
>   new
>   tmp
>   Folder2
>      cur
>      new
>      tmp
>   .Folder2.directory - subfolder for Folder2
>      Folder3

> Dovecot would need this as:
> Folder1
>   cur
>   new
>   tmp
>   .Folder2
>      cur
>      new
>      tmp
>   .Folder2.Folder3
>      cur
>      new
>      tmp
>
> As  you can see they are completely different. In dovecot style sub-
> subdirectories are not layed out as such on the file system.
>
> Sincerely I'd just keep the current layout as it is and not bother with
> "real" subdirectories.
> This will make bug 289183 a wontfix and will require user intervention to
> import completely the folder structure.

In kmail 1 there was both visible and hidden subdirectories, some of which had
localized names. In kmail 2 ~/Mail (or wereever you store your mail) is a joke
- it is ALWAYS empty apart from empty cur, new and tmp subdirectories.

Personally, I don't care much what the layout looks like, as long as mail is
stored where the user thinks, in my case indside ~/Mail, as long as it is just
functional inside kmail. This was true until kmail 2, and it should be again.

Anders