[Kde-pim] Speed of storing large numbers of records, and sizes of akonadiserver and dbus-daemon

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Feb 25 22:17:09 GMT 2012

On Saturday 25 February 2012, Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Hi Milan,
>
> Understood. Unfortunately, this looks like it is going to be tricky
> to untangle as the CPU hog seems to move around from second to
> second. Anyway, it is also clear that the problems of this scale are
> more widespread because having finally managed to load all the
> records, I cut'n'paste them into a kabc for reference. That took
> *many* minutes, and even once the Kontact UI was done, I see that
> mysqld and the kabc resource are VERY slowly creating the .vcf file,
> and using *lots* of CPU to do even that simple job.
>
> The reason for that seems to be that the whole .vcf file is being
> recreated each time for what looks like each record:

[snip]

Yes. It seems there is no optimization for bulk-adding in the vcard file
resource (or in KAddressBook).

In any case, using a vcard file resource for more than a few contacts is
a bad idea because each time a single contact is changed all contacts
need to be rewritten to the vcard file. You should use a vcard dir
resource instead.

Regards,
Ingo