[Kde-pim] Review Request: Add indexing throttling and fixed endless indexing problems

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 21:15:26 GMT 2012

On Friday 17 February 2012 19:53:42 Volker Krause wrote:

> > Currently there is no way around throttling the high prio queue. As stated
> > above (and as you confirmed in private email) adding a new email account
> > will result in newItem events for all the emails. That in turn will put
> > them into the high prio queue.
>
> I'm currently testing this, and it indeed seems to improve indexing
> considerably. Without throttling in effect my system is now reliably
> indexing hundreds of mails per minute, without getting stuck with Virtuoso
> going crazy.

By now that has changed unfortunately :-(

The Virtuoso database reached ~800Mb again after two days of indexing all my
Akonadi data (I deleted it two days ago, to get rid of all the pre-DMS cruft
in there), and the stuck Virtuoso problem seems to be back. I just found it
consuming 200% CPU, removing the feeder reduced it to 100%. Following
Vishesh's  instructions (http://vhanda.in/blog/2012/02/virtuoso-going-crazy-/)
I got the following running query:

select distinct ?r where { { ?r a
<http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/2007/08/15/nao#Tag> . ?v2
<http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/2007/08/15/nao#hasTag> ?r . ?v3
<http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/2007/08/15/nao#hasTag> ?r . } . ?r
<http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/2007/08/15/nao#userVisible> ?v1 .
FILTER(?v1>0) . } ORDER BY DESC ( count(?v3) ) LIMIT 6

Closing it did not make it stop though, I had to kill Virtuoso. Restarting the
feeder afterwards makes that continue normally, with the expected load that
changes according to the throttling. So, I'm not even sure if this is caused
by the Akonadi feeder at all. The above mentioned query seems to be harmless
as well though, run manually it only takes 2.5 secs.

regards
Volker