[Kde-pim] From a users point of view ....

Mike McGinn mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net
Thu Feb 23 19:17:01 GMT 2012

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 07:43:45 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi Kevin!
>
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > On Wednesday, 2012-02-22, Mike McGinn wrote:
> > > How about giving us a tool to move all our mail and filters to
> > > Thunderbird. Maybe *that* will work. The instability of this pin has
> > > gone on far too long. People actually have to do *real* work with
> > > this stuff, this is not a hobby for me, I need my mail, contacts and
> > > calendar. I need it to work. I do not need stuff to disappear on me.
> > > You guys have got to be kidding.
> >
> > I am sure that a superb email program that has been designed for *real*
> > work has an equivalently superb importing facility when even one
> > designed for instability for only *unreal* work has one.
>
> While I understand your frustration, I do think this is not contributing
> to resolving problems either.
>
> I understand that you feel hurt.
>
> Its important to feel whats there and then shift the energy to what helps
> to create a relationship between developers and users that helps in
> resolving issues and bugs with KDEPIM 2 efficiently.
>
> Ciao,

Hi Martin,
Thank you for your reply.
I started using KDE and Kmail in 2004 with the old Mandrake distribution. I
have gigabytes of mail and contacts. I have over 200 filters set up to filter
incoming mail.

When I was using Kubuntu and Ubuntu 8.04, everything worked great.I didn't
think about my PIM, and I don't want to have to think about it.

When I upgraded to the new KDE paradigm and akanodi, I lost my mail account
settings - which was no big deal. I lost all my filters too, which was a major
pain.

Now I am using 10.04. I had to add a hook to my KDE login to start akanodi
when I logged in, or else my contacts would not be accessible when I started
Kontact. There are also some plugins (like Google Calender) which I have never
gotten working, so I gave up on them.

I have been doing software development for over 24 years. I have developed
code for testing detectors that sit on the end of particle beams, I have
written both terminal and server side code for state lotteries. I have also
run development teams. I have a pretty good idea of how the process works. I
do not think the kde-pim development is being managed properly.

When a user chooses a distribution and software that is advertised as being
user friendly, it should just work. It is an incredible hassle to have to work
around things that are not working properly. Some of us actually use our
computers for work. I run a server farm for an internet company and I am the
treasurer for my congregation. I do all of that on the very laptop that I am
typing this message on. I do not think my expectations are too high when I
expect released software to work.

Mike

--
Mike McGinn		FACOCM