[Kde-pim] From a users point of view ....

Denny lumnis at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:28:18 GMT 2012

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012, 20:45:06 schrieb Will Stephenson:
> On Sunday 26 Feb 2012 22:22:57 Christoph Bartoschek wrote:
> > Starting with Opensuse 12.1 the new kmail version was shipped. I know two
> > former kmail users that switched to thunderbird because of Opensuse's
> > decision to use the new stuff. And I am afraid that the number gets
> > significantly higher when we decide to upgrade our desktop machines.
> >
> > But can one blame Opensuse here? I think that it takes lots of effort to
> > keep the old version. In addition there is the chicken-egg problem.
> > Without
> > the users that report bugs kdepim will never get in a usable state again.
> > Obviously the KDE team decided that the new kmail version is good enough.
> > So I can understand that Opensuse shipped it.
>
> (with my openSUSE hat on)
>
> I took the call to ship kdepim 4.7 with openSUSE 12.1.  This was because 1)
> upstream said it was ready, 2) the openSUSE KDE contributor team agreed, 3)
> upstream could not guarantee that fixes in kde[pim]libs 4.7 would work well
> with kdepim 4.4, 4) We did a lot of testing and fixes prior to release and
> 5) I'd previously offered kdepim 4.3 (legacy kaddressbook)  packages
> alongside the latest upstream, and nobody showed interest (or even said
> thanks).

Will,
first of all thank you for your hard work - a bit late, I know. Although, I was
the one started this discussion about issues with KDE PIM, in my opinion the
decision was correct to move things on.
I had many issue with pre 4.7 pim, taken from unstable, but that was ok and
expected.
My experience has been positiv with 4.7.x versions, but things got a lot worse
with 4.8, while I thought this should be an even more stable release compared
to 4.7.x. This is where the original post came from.

> > In my opinion the problem is that the basic stuff does not work properly.
> > If the advanced features were incomplete or buggy one could live with it.
> > But when basic stuff is broken the new version feels like a big
> > regression. I cannot resent that people abandon kmail2.
>
> Agreed. In retrospect I would have shipped 4.4 again and taken my chances
> with regressions.  A lot of people inside SUSE abandoned kmail (and KDE, in
> some cases) after we shipped 12.1.  I am working on shipping 4.8.x as an
> online update to help with the worst cases, but am first tracking a severe
> CPU usage problem in Nepomuk's indexing of PIM data when 4.7 semantic data
> is upgraded.
This is great news - I don't mind updating regularly.