[Kde-pim] Freezes during email composing?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Feb 23 08:46:41 GMT 2012

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone else seeing Kontact freeze for a minute or two every so often,
> in particular when composing email? This is with KDE 4.8 on FC16 and when
> it happens I see the CPU load spike to 100% for a while. Then eventually
> it calms back down and I can continue typing.
>
> Not sure this is a freak thing, or whether others see it, too, or where to
> start debugging it. If there is something I can do, please let me know.

Would be nice to know what is using the CPU at that moment (eg. check with
top or/and attach gdb to it and bt).
Also check if turning off spell checking helps or not.

There is a long standing bug (all KDE4 releases, and maybe also in KDE3, but
I'm not sure about it), that typing in the KMail composer slows down A LOT.
No idea why it is happening.

Andras