[Kde-pim] Maildir directory structure [Re: A sigh]

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Feb 11 16:25:43 GMT 2012

On Saturday, 2012-02-11, Anders Lund wrote:
> Lørdag den 11. februar 2012 16:28:28 Kevin Krammer skrev:
> > On Saturday, 2012-02-11, Anders Lund wrote:
> > > In kmail 1 there was both visible and hidden subdirectories, some of
> > > which had localized names. In kmail 2 ~/Mail (or wereever you store
> > > your mail) is a joke - it is ALWAYS empty apart from empty cur, new
> > > and tmp subdirectories.
> > >
> > > Personally, I don't care much what the layout looks like, as long as
> > > mail is stored where the user thinks, in my case indside ~/Mail, as
> > > long as it is just functional inside kmail. This was true until kmail
> > > 2, and it should be again.
> >
> > That can't be quite accurate. The KMail folders resource was specifically
> > designed to work with a KMail1 mail store directory and it does not move
> > mails outside of that tree.
> >
> > Thus is uses exactly the same on-disk layout KMail 1 did.
>
> Well, that might have been the intention, but it does not appear to be the
> reality.
>
> When doing the switch from kmail1 to kmail2, I first archieved all my
> folders in kmail1, moved ~/Mail away and recreated it by pointing a new
> maildir akonadi resource there. After starting kmail 2, I imported all the
> acrhieves. The result of that was that most of that mail (all that was
> sucessfully imported) was moved into ~/.Mail.directory/<subfoldername>,
> which is also where kmail2 stores new mail.

Right, different resource. However, that resource should also probably treat
the case of creating a new top level directory as a top level root.

In any case KMail2 (or rather the Akonadi data access stack) has an option to
store data exactly like KMail1 did.
The resource is called KMail Folders for a reason.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring