[Kde-pim] Maildir directory structure [Re: A sigh]

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Feb 11 15:48:36 GMT 2012

Lørdag den 11. februar 2012 16:28:28 Kevin Krammer skrev:
> On Saturday, 2012-02-11, Anders Lund wrote:
> > In kmail 1 there was both visible and hidden subdirectories, some of which
> > had localized names. In kmail 2 ~/Mail (or wereever you store your mail)
> > is a joke - it is ALWAYS empty apart from empty cur, new and tmp
> > subdirectories.
> >
> > Personally, I don't care much what the layout looks like, as long as mail
> > is stored where the user thinks, in my case indside ~/Mail, as long as it
> > is just functional inside kmail. This was true until kmail 2, and it
> > should be again.
>
> That can't be quite accurate. The KMail folders resource was specifically
> designed to work with a KMail1 mail store directory and it does not move
> mails outside of that tree.
>
> Thus is uses exactly the same on-disk layout KMail 1 did.

Well, that might have been the intention, but it does not appear to be the
reality.

When doing the switch from kmail1 to kmail2, I first archieved all my folders
in kmail1, moved ~/Mail away and recreated it by pointing a new maildir
akonadi resource there. After starting kmail 2, I imported all the acrhieves.
The result of that was that most of that mail (all that was sucessfully
imported) was moved into ~/.Mail.directory/<subfoldername>, which is also
where kmail2 stores new mail.

~/.Mail.directory have the cur, new and tmp folders everywhere, that is
correct and I was wrong at that.

During kmail 1 times, my mail was inside ~/Mail in some hidden directory,
there were two of each of the standard directories one of which was localized.
Maybe one were a link to the other, I can't remember and the last backup are
not easy to restore or browse right now.

The difference is that now, mail is not inside ~/Mail.

I only found out by luck. Users not carefully following kdepim-users and kde-
pim have no chance to know where their mail gets hidden, unless they search
for it in hidden directories.

Anders