[Kde-pim] Making offline/online handling sane

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Dec 8 11:00:26 GMT 2012

Andras Mantia wrote:

>>> As I wrote somewhere above, turning the resources offline or unplugging
>>> the cable results in different behavior, even if visually in both cases
>>> the IMAP resource is just "offline".
>>
>> Interesting. So it behaves correctly when switched off by the user (one
>> of the previous steps) but starts acting differently when network is no
>> longer available?
>
> That is what I saw, but as I said, I'd like some confirmation. That is
> also the reason why this bug was hard to notice: just switching the
> resource ot offline mode doesn't trigger the problem.

Just an addition here. I've chatted with Volker, and he pointed me to the
reason why this could happen (resource is contacted even if theoretically
the data is cached): there is some problem (unknown) that causes the
resources to have no data for the payload, even if they should have it. This
means that even an apparently disconnected IMAP can work like an online IMAP
without the user knowing it. And actually that's why on my desktop I can
access the mails even in offline mode, but on my laptop I cannot.

So the priorities now changed, and the most important is to fix this bug. I
still keep my point that the offline meaning needs a cleanup, as we
discussedd with Kevin as well, just it went little lower in the priority
list, being a more intrusive change and something that might (depending on
solution we/I come up) binary incompatible changes, that are not allowed in
4.x.

Andras