[Kde-pim] Moving Trojitá to extragear

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 21:42:48 GMT 2012

On Friday 23 November 2012 21:55:39 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> [...]
> The bits where we start to differ significantly is when it comes to the
> reponse processing. It looks to me that KIMAP doesn't support command
> pipelining at all

The way things are encapsulated shouldn't prevent pipelining support. It
didn't get implemented back in the days mainly for time constraints and need
(the way Akonadi resources default scheduler works, pipelining wouldn't be
exercised much anyway).

For a more general use of the library it's definitely something missing, I'd
gladly welcome patches which add pipelining support and better error reporting
(as you pointed out it's lacking there as well).

> It looks to me that the KIMAP library is a rather low-level one -- some IMAP
> commands have optional features (CONDSTORE, QRESYNC,...) that are missing.

KIMAP is meant to be "IMAP on the line" so yes, rather low level and closely
modelled around the specs.

> But the more important point is that simply having a tool for sending
> SELECT ... QRESYNC and parsing back VANISHED EARLIER responses is *not
> enough*; you have to maintain an extensive pile of stateful infromation if
> you want to achieve a reasonably good performance in IMAP. I don't see such
> code in KIMAP, it seems that it's in kdepim-runtime/resources/imap.

Yes it is. The stateful information is in the client code because it's likely
to be client specific. I'd expect the needs of the imap resource and of
something like trojita to be rather different. If at some point we find common
patterns we could create higher level jobs of course, but the library would
need more users to figure that out, it's too premature to get there.

> KIMAP is missing some commands like THREAD, doesn't have anything for
> ESEARCH, doesn't support CONTEXT=*, cannot do COMPRESS=DEFLATE (this is not
> an exhaustive list). Error handling seems to be rather basic, with no
> detailed reporting on what was wrong with any given response.

Patches welcome. :-)

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net