[Kde-pim] [RFC] Adding thumbnail photo entry to KABC::Addressee

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 14:43:45 GMT 2012

Hi,

while working on the Facebook resource, I noticed that the friends' profile
pictures that are stored are the full-size scaled-down profile pics from
Facebook. It's useful to have the full-size pic for the contact details
page, but it does not work very well when scaled-down (say 32x32px) and
shown in list. Sometimes the original pics are so big that the scaled-down
version is useless. Also it looks a bit worse when the profile pics are not
uniform in the list (different pics are scaled differently, leaving
whitespace on the sides or above/below).

Today pretty much all the online sources of profile data uses the square
thumbnails, which fit perfectly into the lists and looks much better. At
least in the Facebook resource, we do have both the square crop and full
profile pics available. The problem is we can store only one in Akonadi.
Therefore I'd like to propose to add new field into KABC::Addressee that
will store this square crop which will be used in lists as a "decoration
role". The entry could be called "photoThumb" or "photoCrop" or something
like that.

The full picture would still be stored as well and would be displayed in
the contact details page/view/widget. It would also be used where the
square crop wouldn't be available or when it would be empty (for whatever
reason). So the old data wouldn't be affected at all, they would stay the
way they are right now. The resources would be adapted (where applicable)
to store both pictures.

What do you think?

Cheers
--