[Kde-pim] How to aid in testing PostgreSQL support?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Dec 7 18:20:30 GMT 2012

Am Freitag, 7. Dezember 2012 schrieb totte:
> Hi!

Hi!

> I'd like to help out in testing Akonadi with PostgreSQL as backend (
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#PostgreSQL_Support).
> However, I'm not an experienced C++/Qt programmer and therefore unsure
> as to how I could best provide feedback or anything such.

Great!

> I know of the bugtracker at
> https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Akonadi but are
> there specific things to test or look for? Is the backend considered
> stable enough for everyday use? Are there features missing for the
> PostgreSQL backend that are available for the MySQL such?

I use it for, well I think a year now on some systems. But with KDEPIM 1
4.4.x, cause Debian does not carry KDEPIM 2 yet. So only the address book
and the calender and journal use Akonadi here.

This works.

Only thing I found and reported is that one has to give path to PostgreSQL
server binary with PostgreSQL version 9.1 like this:

martin at merkaba:~> cat .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
[%General]
Driver=QPSQL

[QPSQL]
Name=akonadi
Host=/home/martin/.local/share/akonadi/socket-merkaba
Options=
ServerPath=/usr/lib/postgresql/9.1/bin/pg_ctl
InitDbPath=/usr/lib/postgresql/9.1/bin/initdb
StartServer=true

[Debug]
Tracer=null

Otherwise the Akonadi backend does not find it here.

Everything except database name and the binary paths has been added by
Akonadi itself, I think. Maybe even the database name.

I reported having to manually specify the path as a bug already.

The database on my private laptop user is:

martin at merkaba:~/.local/share/akonadi> du -sh db_data
68M     db_data

I also use it for my company user on the laptop and also on a workstation at
work that uses a central PostgreSQL server.

All of these seem to work just fine.

As for your other questions I donĀ“t know, I just use the backend.

Thanks,