[Kde-pim] Making offline/online handling sane

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Dec 8 14:53:25 GMT 2012

On Saturday 08 December 2012 12:26:38 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Saturday 08 December 2012 13.00:26 Andras Mantia wrote:
> > So the priorities now changed, and the most important is to fix this bug.
>
> Very much agreed, FWIW.
>
> I also regularly run into scenarios where data is not synchronized to the
> server, probably because the IMAP resource has some hickup.

That's the other direction, so I'd expect this to be largely unrelated.

> Those items then have a local, but no remote ID, which means they have not
> actually been pushed to the server, and Akonadi has no recovery from this
> fairly common [*] scenario, it seems.

Correct, if the change replay got lost for whatever reason there is currently
no way to recover from that.

> Because objects without remote ID are not something Akonadi believes in, it
> then seems to get massively confused by their existing, causing things to go
> wrong further until corrected by manual intervention.

Objects without remote ID are perfectly fine (local stuff not yet written to
the server), the (remote -> local) syncing code ignores those completely to
avoid losing local changes.

For items they should not cause any problems, it's a different story for
collections though, since their content can only be addressed on the server if
they have a remote ID (at least for those with hierarchical remote IDs, such
as IMAP and maildir). But IIRC we have recovery code for this in
CollectionSync since the last Osnabrück meeting?

Is this about collections or items, and what exactly does getting "massively
confused" mean?

> I suspect that fixing this will also be somewhere in the same realm you're
> now looking at - and helping with recovery from such scenarios is likely to
> be a great contribution to Akonadi as a whole. :)

I wouldn't hope for too much there, I think the two issues are largely
unrelated.

regards,
Volker