[Kde-pim] Akonadi MySQL backend: Using a file per table in order to be able to free disk space on truncating?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Aug 10 11:39:34 BST 2012

Hi!

On doing some research regarding MySQL performance tuning I have been
given the hint to consider using a file per table via
"innodb_file_per_table" option.

Mainly cause of this advantage:

| · Reclaiming disk space when truncating a table."

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-multiple-tablespaces.html

And this user comment:

| Posted by Chris Wagner on June 2 2011 11:23pm
|
| It is absurd that there is not a builtin function to compact the ibdata
| file to reclaim unused space to the OS. *ALWAYS* use
| innodb_file_per_table.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-data-log-reconfiguration.html

Last I checked – I am currently using PostgreSQL plugin where such a
vacuuming is always possible AFAIK – the mysql.conf for Akonadi started
MySQL didn´t include this.

Are you aware of that options? Did you consider it?

It might be useful to have:

akonadictl vacuum

have actually really reclaim disk space with MySQL default backend.

I do not know whether its actually doing something on my Akonadi started
PostgreSQL setup since it returns within a fraction of a second and I do
not see much activity. But then thats still KDEPIM 4.4.11 and only
contacts in there, so probably not much to do. Oh yes, this seems to do
something according to ~/.xsession-errors:

"vacuuming database, that'll take some time and require a lot of temporary
disk space..."
"optimizing table SchemaVersionTable..."
"optimizing table ResourceTable..."
"optimizing table CollectionTable..."
"optimizing table MimeTypeTable..."
"optimizing table PimItemTable..."
"optimizing table FlagTable..."
"optimizing table PartTable..."
"optimizing table CollectionAttributeTable..."
"optimizing table PimItemFlagRelation..."
"optimizing table CollectionMimeTypeRelation..."
"optimizing table CollectionPimItemRelation..."
"vacuum done"

Thanks,