[Kde-pim] Fwd: CalConect Interop 3. Oct. ff in Prag

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sun Sep 4 15:02:38 BST 2011

On Sunday 04 Sep 2011 11:55:39 Grégory Oestreicher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Ralf Becker of Stylite / eGroupware notified me of the 22nd edition of the
> CalConnect Interop Event in Prague this year. Unfortunately I will not be
> able to attend, but maybe someone from KDE PIM may be interested. All
> details are in the page at the link below.
>
> Cheers,
> Grégory
>
> ----------  Message transmis  ----------
>
> Hi Gregory,
>
> are you or anyone else from KDE is attending the CalConnect Interop
> Event in Prag beginning of October this year?
>
> 	http://calconnect.org/calconnect22.shtml
>
> I'll be there, and Dave from CalConnect told me, they are looking for
> further CalDAV/CardDAV clients to attend.
>
> Ralf

Hmmm.  This looks interesting, but they don't seem very open from reading
their website.

As a non-member we would only be allowed Observer status for the Roundtable to
decide if we want to join, and we're only allowed to attend one Roundtable
ever as an observer, to attend after that it's pay-up to become a member.

The Interop event is more open, and cheap this time at $350 for the firt
person and $150 for every person after that, it's normally $2,795 for 2
people.  We should probably take advantage of this if we have someone able to
fully participate (Sergio?).

Membership fees are $2,500 a year for a FOSS group or >= $5,000 for a
commercial vendor.

I had been thinking about attending to find out the status of alternative
calendar systems, but under those conditions I think not.  I'd rather
subscribe to a mailing list, but those appear closed except for a general
discussion list.  For something apparently so involved in defining open
standards it's a disappointingly closed organisation.

Or is reality more open than their website makes out?

John.