[Kde-pim] Need help with the undefined reference hack

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 19 09:26:12 BST 2011

On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:53 PM, "Milian Wolff" <mail at milianw.de>
wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2011 14:39:19 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With the refactoring of the nepomukfeeder to a plugin based architecture
> > we
> > ran into the problem that the nepomuk_email_feeder in kdepim has to
> > depend on
> > code in kdepim-runtime (because we can't push the code into kdepimlibs
> > yet).
> > We decided to go for a workaround until we can push the necessary libs
> > into
> > kdepimlibs.
> >
> > The idea is to create a runtime dependency on the necessary lib in
> > kdepim-
> > runtime, but I failed so far to create something which actually works.
> > To ignore the unresolved symbols (which are supposed to be resolved
> > during
> > runtime) these options were added:
> > set(CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_CREATE_CXX_FLAGS
> > "${CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_CREATE_CXX_FLAGS}
> > -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined,--warn-
> > unresolved-symbols,--no-fatal-warnings")
> >
> > Now I need to tell the linker that the library with the name
> > nepomukfeederpluginlib will resolve the symbols on runtime, but in a way
> > that
> > it is not needed to compile the code.
> > Currently the nepomukfeederpluginlib is not linked to the
> > nepomuk_email_feeder
> > at all, but that leads to unresolved symbols during runtime.
> >
> > I suppose it should be possible somehow tell the nepomuk_email_feeder
> > that the
> > nepomukfeederpluginlib will resolve the unknown symbols but couldn't
> > figure out
> > how so far. Is there maybe some linker option?
> > target_link_libraries is not an option because it creates a compiletime
> > dependency.
>
> Cannot help sadly, probably just cause some more problems:
>
> - will this work on other platforms?
> - will this work with different linkers (esp. ld.gold vs old ld?)

I think André Heinecke made it work on windows, not sure about mac.
It is quite possible that this breaks with other linkers/platforms and I
don't have another solution to that than disabling the email_feeder.
It's only a temporary solution and not a critical part of the system
after all.

Cheers,
Christian