[Kde-pim] About Kmail-2

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Oct 14 16:28:50 BST 2011

Hello Denis,

On Friday, 2011-10-14, denis.gillain at ellipsys.fr wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> This may not be the right place, but I try anyway.

The KDE PIM user mailing list would have been

But lets see anyway.

> I just installed Kubuntu 11.10 with KDE 4.7 that include Kmail-2.
>
> And already spent too much time trying to migrate from Kmail-1.

Just for curiosity, any particular problem during migration?

> I'm
> definitively not interested about holding all my mails in a my-sql
> database, and to gain knowledge about akonai or nepomuk...

Don't worry. Some groupware servers seem to use mysql as storage for mails,
KMail doesn't.

> I'm maintaining my contacts in a personnal .xml file, and my calendar
> on a sheet of paper. Kmail-1 is the best choice for my emails as they
> are kept as files, in fact as they arrive on my computer.

Right. Default storage for mails has been maildir for years, KMail2 doesn't
change that.
The default maildir location changed though: KMail1 had its default base
directory for mails in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail while KMail2 has its
default base directory in $HOME/.local/share/local-folders

> Is-it possible to keep KDE if I don't want kmail-2 ?

Sure.
While KDE is both a vendor for desktop workspace/shell and applications,
neither depends on the other.
Some components of KDE's workspace offerings can even be swapped for
alternatives, e.g. if one prefers to use a different window manager than KWin.

> Will it be a
> better choice to switch to Gnome (Ubuntu) if I don't want Kmail-2 ?

You can use Gnome if you don't like the KDE Plasma workspace but either is
independent of using or not using KMail (in any version).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring