[Kde-pim] filtering

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Oct 20 08:31:36 BST 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

On Wednesday, 2011-10-19, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to do something about kmail2 filtering - I want to fix some
> bugs.
>
> so I compiled kmail2 and started it with kmail.shell
>
> there were no filters defined, and I got a segfault when opening
> the filter dialog.
>
> #6  isHidden (this=0x0) at /usr/include/qt4/QtGui/qlistwidget.h:327
> #7  MailCommon::KMFilterListBox::slotNew (this=0x203e2f0) at
> /home/wr/kdesrc/kde/kdepim/mailcommon/kmfilterdialog.cpp:931 #8
> 0x00007fd4c12443c9 in MailCommon::KMFilterListBox::loadFilterList
> (this=0x203e2f0, createDummyFilter=true) at
> /home/wr/kdesrc/kde/kdepim/mailcommon/kmfilterdialog.cpp:1199
>
> the patch below would fix it. I do have commit rights but it is
> a long time since I coded in KDE/C++ so let me ask a few
> questions first:
>
> - is this patch accepable - or should I use a local variable
> for currentItem()?

I think that's acceptable, but ultimately it's the KMail maintainer's call.

> - should I use the reviewboard for such trivial changes?

I'd say yes. The advantage of reviewboard is that it provides context in the
form of code surrounding the patch.
E.g. to check coding style of the file the patch is for, or like in this case
if some other method uses a local variable when accessing currentItem()
multiple times.

> - I can only see a master branch in the git repository. Where
> could I backport this fix to the KDE 4.7 branch?

4.7 branch is KDE/4.7

> - should I first apply the commit to the 4.7 branch and then
> merge with master or should I first commit to master and
> then cherry-pick for the 4.7 branch?

I don't think we have an official policy for that yet, most people seem to do
the commit to master+cherry-pick to 4.7 method.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring