[Kde-pim] Moving pim data to new kde install

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Nov 3 11:36:03 GMT 2011

On Thursday 03 Nov 2011 Denny Beyer wrote:
> Dear all,
> after a new installation, I started moving my existing data to the new
> machine.

It's hard to help without knowing what version of KDE and Kontact are on the
new machine.

> Here is the status of what I found out and got working so far.
>
> eMail
> - not tried yet and not sure how to do it

Common places for mail are ~/Mail and ~/Maildir - can you see messages in
either of those places, if so, copy them to the new machine.

> contacts
> - all data is stored as single vcf files (one file per contact) under
> .local/share/contacts/private/
> - copying those files to the new machine to the same location and the
> adding a new address - source in KAddressbook pointing to this directory
> makes akonadi to crash

Maybe when adding the resource you chose the wrong type?  It needs to be of
the type Folder.

> calendar
> - all calendar data is stored in .local/share/calendar/private which is an
> vcs/ics - file
> - copying those files to same location on the new machine
> - adding a new calendar resource in KOrganizer (Kontact) and pointing to
> the file (added as iCal file)
> => Success: Calendar entries are shown as expected.

Good.

> notes
> - still trying, no success yet. Lost all data several times already in the
> past.

Not sure - I think that is KNotes.  Have you checked that KNotes is installed?
Probably you need to look for something like ~/.knotes on your old machine.

Anne