[Kde-pim] Moving pim data to new kde install

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 08:25:05 GMT 2011

Denny Beyer wrote:

> I will look into this later, but just moving those directories won't give
> me a working kmail2 on the new machine, right? There are more config files
> for kontact/kmail etc. Which seems not really documented somewhere.

Not specifically for Kontact, but they are more or less generic for Linux
distributions (distributions can sometimes use a different directory
though).
As Ingo said, best is to move everything. The alternative is to find out one
by one the *data* you want to move and configure everything from scratch.
Some hints (names are relative to $HOME):
- .local : standard path for local data. Akonadi stores the cache (the
database) here, but many other (non KDE) applications store data here.
Depending on the distribution settings local mail can be here (don't confuse
that with the akonadi cache!)
- .config: standard config path, Akonadi server stores the configuration
here (about what kind of resources you have). So if you move the data from
.local, you need to move .config as well.
- .kde (or sometimes .kde4): KDE specific configuration and data. Here is
where you will find the account settings. This is used by all KDE
applications, so if you want to get everything as before, you need to copy
the directory. Contact lists, local calendars are here. Depending on your
distribution, local mail might also be here. Akonadi is not using .kde(4)
because it is NOT a kde dependent service.
- various folders and files starting with a "." will hold configuration for
apps (mostly not KDE apps), not following the above rules.
- Mail : depending on your distribution, local mail can be here

As you can see, there is no good rule, because things can be in different
places, based on how your $HOME directory evolved over time, what
distribution you use, etc. There are ideas to make this more standard, thus
the .local and .config dirs, but until all apps follow it, we will have this
multitude of directories.

In short, the places to look at are .local, .config and .kde(4) for KDE
apps, including Kontact.

Andras