[Kde-pim] Moving pim data to new kde install

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 6 22:14:01 GMT 2011

On Friday 04 November 2011, Denny Beyer wrote:
> On 3 November 2011 20:32, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 November 2011, ianseeks wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be nice to have a "kontact" link directory that you
> > > could just copy and it pulled in all the various parts of the
> > > PIM together instead of having to search out all the disparate
> > > parts of it.
> >
> > There is such a directory. It's called $HOME. I will not get tired
> > of preaching that the only sensible way of migration to a new
> > system is a full copy of the entire $HOME directory. I have been
> > doing this successfully about 7 times or so for the last 15 years
> > and I have never lost a single bit of data.
>
> All your data have been automatically converted and transfered
> between versions from kde1 through to kde4 with kontact 2/ kde4.7.x
> by just keeping your $home as it is with no user interaction
> required? Wow. I'm impressed.

Yes/no. I'm still using kdepim 4.4 (with kde 4.7).

From what I've read on the mailing lists with Kontact 2 it might be
better to start with a clean configuration instead of trying a
migration. But that's beside the point I was trying to make. I was
talking about the transfer of user data from one system to another. I
was not talking about upgrading software. Of course, a migration from
one system to another is often combined with an upgrade of the software.
Still the upgrade is orthogonal to the actual transfer of data from one
system to the other. The transfer of the data is the first step and the
following migration of the data the second independent step. The former
requires user interaction (e.g. copying $HOME), the latter shouldn't
require user interaction.

> > If some people think they need to use a more complicated method
> > then that's their problem. Sorry, for being harsh, but if you are
> > asking for trouble then that's what you get.
>
> Your are not being harsh, but far from reality. In case you reed any
> computer news websites, messages from broken settings and not working
> kdepim 4 are just piling up and the few users left are getting less
> and less.

You are mixing different things. See above. I am very unhappy with how
bad data migration seems to work with Kontact 2. But if people try to
combine the migration to Kontact 2 with a selective transfer of their
PIM data from the old system to the new system then they are making an
already very complicated situation even more complicated. That's why I
plead for doing at least that part of the migration that is under the
user's control right by copying all of $HOME. If migration still fails
even though the user did the transfer correctly then he is not to blame.

> > If you cannot be bothered with doing
> > it the only way that is guaranteed to work then I cannot help you.
>
> The thing you describe as the "only" way and "guaranteed to work" is
> not really there.

Yes, it is. Which doesn't mean you are wrong. We are just talking about
different things.

> > You have forfeit your right to complain.
>
> Ok, i will keep quite from now on. I was hoping to discuss issues
> with kdepim on this list and together with others, including
> developers, find a solution to help other users out there with the
> same issue.

Please continue doing this. All I'm asking for is that people stop the
pratice of selective data transfer because I think that this practice
makes things more complicated than they ought to be.

Regards,
Ingo