[Kde-pim] KMail addressee completion

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 3 20:01:59 GMT 2011

On Thursday 03 November 2011, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2011 09.57:44 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 November 2011 22.01:10 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > AFAIK this is by design. The disadvantages of arbitrary substring
> > > matches (e.g. a long list of mostly irrelevant matches) outnumber
> > > the advantages.
> >
> > I wonder.
> >
> > When I try to send email to someone, say, Thomas Müller, I'd like
> > "Müller" to actually find him, same as Thomas. Right now neither
> > does, because he happens to have a PhD, so his full name is "Dr.
> > Thomas Müller".

In this case all you need is matching on word boundaries. I fully agree
that this should work. But if you want to send a message to Oma then you
problably do not want Dr. Thomas Müller to match.

> Darn. False positive on key-binding.

Huh?

> Anyhow: I think it is worth to discuss what matching rules make
> sense, because I agree with others who have voiced they find the
> current ones suboptimal.

Sure. In my opinion there's a whole zoo of matching rules that are way
more valuable than arbitrary substring matching. For example, phonetic
matching (Meyer=Meier=Mayer=...). Or a bit of typo resistance by adding
a Levenshtein distance threshold.

Regards,
Ingo