[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Nov 29 19:05:02 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 29 November 2011 09:46:14 Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I have upgraded from very usable setup with Fedota 15/KDE 4.6.x to
> Fedora 16 with shiny new KDE 4.7.3 and brand new KDE PIM suite and as
> many users found that the new version Akonadi/Kmail2 is pretty much
> unusable. The conversion of my archive mailbox (mixed maildir) and 2
> IMAP accounts ran for over 8 hours and I am not quite sure what state it
> is in the moment as Kontact is trying to open my work mailbox for over
> 10 minutes now (ever since I got to my desk and woke up my laptop).
>
> Looking at the Akonadi mysql database I see that I have 3 large tables:
> - parttable:			587230 rows;
> - pimitemflagrelation:		241688 rows;
> - pimitemtable:			294840 rows;

I just want to comment on this and leave the rest to the real pimpsters:

You say here that this is an outrageous amount of data and that it has to be
slow and what not. That is actually not true. This are just a couple of
thousand rows, something that MySQL should handle just fine.

Note that the KDEPim stack is continously being optimized and I severly doubt
that the KDE 4.7 version is even near the place where MySQL was the
bottleneck.

I understand how this experience is far from optimal, but refrain from
spreading such FUD as the above. I also have lots of problems with KMail2 but
I actually sit down and try to fix them. Which so far works out pretty well.

Another thing: If we ever come to the point where MySQL is the bottleneck, the
current architecture should make it rather simple to come up with an
alternative, optimized architecture. Personally, I just doubt that we are able
to design a relational database from scratch that will outperform MySQL so
easily...

Bye

PS: If you want to help KDEPim constructively, build it from master (it is
much better there already compared to the 4.7 version) and profile it. Show us
data from callgrind, perf, systemtap, vtune, ... That way we can actually
improve it and don't have to waste time in a debate on principles.
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de