[Kde-pim] Changing UID of a newly created Akonadi::Item

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 25 09:13:47 GMT 2011

On Thursday, 2011-11-24, Dan Vratil wrote:
> On Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:41:16 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2011-11-24, Dan Vratil wrote:

> > > The problem with payload UID is that when user changes the event via
> > > Google Calendar web interface and then synchronizes the resource, the
> > > UID is updated as well together with the other informations . And
> > > that's not OK, I think that UID should remain constant for the lifetime
> > > of the event, not changed after first synchronization.
> >
> > But in this case changing the UID in itemAdded() would just do that, no?
>
> Yes, but I change it when the item is created, so at the very beginning of
> it's existence when nobody minds :). Until now the UID changed after user
> modified the event in Google and the resource had fetched the update, which
> is much worse situation.

Hmm. That assumes that the resource is online at the time of event creation so
basically any "reader" will see the new event and almost instantaniously see
the update. Which is not necessarily true of the resource is offline.

Anyway, clients should probably not be concerned toomuch about payload
internal UIDs or their stability, the Akonadi item ID won't change due to any
changes to the item.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring