[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

Dmitry Torokhov dmitry.torokhov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:14:40 GMT 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:41:31PM +0200, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Anders Lund wrote:
>
> > On Tirsdag den 29. november 2011, Milian Wolff wrote:
> >> I understand how this experience is far from optimal, but refrain from
> >> spreading such FUD as the above. I also have lots of problems with KMail2
> >> but  I actually sit down and try to fix them. Which so far works out
> >> pretty well.
> >
> > Expressions of worries and frustration is not FUD.
> >
> > Not everybody is a developer (though this list is for developers, agreed),
> > or wants to develop or debug kmail or akonadi. Does that make us undesired
> > as users? Does it mean we can not express our worries?
>
> The problem is when users who are not developer draw the wrong conclusion
> why this is unusable. In the situation described here the problem is the
> conversion and nothing else.

If the problem was only with conversion then I kmail should be workign
reasonably now. Alas I still see akonadi/mysql peg my CPU ifor a while every time I
switch mailboxes:

 1754 dtor      20   0 1175m  37m 4108 S 62.7  1.0  10:22.35 mysqld
 3375 dtor      20   0  909m 159m  22m R 61.4  4.0   8:21.99
akonadi_imap_re
 1751 dtor      20   0 1363m  20m 5016 S  6.9  0.5   8:59.32
akonadiserver

> Yes, a valid concern for the user as he cannot get forward, but
> telling this is because of the database, or because of X is FUD if the
> claim is not carefully verified.

Dismissing that this is a FUD outright without considering my analysis
is not very constructive either.

--
Dmitry