[Kde-pim] Re: [Fwd: Re: [SyncEvolution] Akonadi status update]

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 5 15:01:44 BST 2011

Hi Patrick,

On Monday, 2011-05-02, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Hello!
>
> You might be interested in some sync-related news: SyncEvolution master
> contains the Akonadi backend. Right now I am trying to figure out how to
> put that into the upcoming release.

Awesome!

> If I compiled a SyncEvolution binary on Ubuntu Lucid (libakonadi-dev
> 1.3.1-0ubuntu3 = /usr/lib/libakonadiprivate.so.1.3.1, akonadi-server
> 1.3.1-0ubuntu3), will that binary work with more recent Akonadi?

I think so. Server newer than pimlibs should be OK.

> Doesn't seem likely, libakonadi-next4 (available as "universe" package
> in Ubuntu Lucid) shows an soname
> change: /usr/lib/libakonadi_next.so.4.4.0

libakonadi_next is basically a proving ground for things that will eventually
go into Akonadi client libs which are part of kdepimlibs.
It is a "private" library of kdepim which does not yet guarantee any stability
and AFAIK does not install any header (so it can only be used from things
built in kdepim).

> In Ubuntu Maverick I see a libakonadiprivate.so.1, but then Natty
> changes to libakonadiprotocolinternals.so.1.

Hmm, but shouldn't be a problem, symbols from there are never seen my any
application code, they link against libs from kdepimlibs (e.g. libakonadi-kde)

> So it seems like trying to support multiple Linux distros with one
> binary is futile, at least for the time being. Right?

Not necessarily unless you need a newer version of kdepimlibs for some feature
that is not available yet in the oldest distribution which should be
supported.

> If I had to pick one, which one would you recommend? In other words,
> where are normal users most likely to benefit from them precompiled
> binaries?

Debian stable is at kdepimlibs 4.4, an executable linking against that should
work on newer distros. However, most every day desktop users will most likely
be on a newer version already, probably even 4.6

> That relates to the question how Akonadi is really used by KDE PIM in
> which versions. My impression is that Akonadi has been able to
> read/write KDE PIM data for a while (since when?), even if KDE PIM
> itself doesn't use it yet. Correct?

KAddressbook has been using Akonadi directly for quite some time now.
Akonadi can use the same calendar files in parallel to the old access
framework, so that should work as well (additionally there is a plugin for
KOrganizer to access Akonadi calendars but it is not a good as accessing the
data directly).

The only unsharable resource right now is local mail, KMail doesn't like
anything accessing its local mail directory (so it can keep its index files up
to date correctly).
IMAP and POP3 (assuming the configuration allows only one party to delete
mails from the POP server) should be fine as well.

We hope to make this parallelism unnecessary in the new future, i.e. Akonadi
using versions of KMail and KOrganizer will quite likely be released within
weeks.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring