[Kde-pim] Re: lead for GSoC proposal on HTML support to KMail

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Wed Mar 30 18:19:21 BST 2011

Hi,

On Saturday, March 26, 2011 05:59:24 AM Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Friday 25 March 2011 20.53.15 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Friday 25 March 2011, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > > On Friday 25 March 2011 15.59.40 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Would I be wrong if I say that the culprit is
> > > TemplateParser::messageText() as that calls
> > > TemplateParser::asPlainTextFromObjectTree()
> >
> > You are right in that requesting the plain text is the reason for the
> > loss of the HTML. But you are wrong in saying that
> > TemplateParser::messageText() is to blame for this.
> > TemplateParser::messageText() didn't have another choice because
> > QTextEdit would have totally corrupted any mildly advanced HTML message.
>
> That means that to enable html replying, we need to change TemplateParser
> _and_ replace QTextEdit (or any layer above that) with a html aware editor
> component?

Yes, both need to be done. The most important step is changing the
TemplateParser to be HTML-aware.
Then next step then is to replace QTextEdit with some webkit component.
That step is only needed because as Ingo said, "QTextEdit would have totally
corrupted any mildly advanced HTML message". Not sure how bad QTextEdit is
here. But anyway, without making the TemplateParser HTML-aware, there would be
no mildly advanced HTML that could be corrupted :)

Regards,
Thomas