[Kde-pim] Re: lead for GSoC proposal on HTML support to KMail

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Mar 25 15:59:40 GMT 2011

Hi,

On Monday, March 21, 2011 01:42:48 PM Sudhendu Roy wrote:
> I am very much interested in applying for this proposal. I have all the
> basic requirements that you asked for, i.e. C++, Qt, High Motivation and
> time (one of the main criteria that this feature has not gone ahead much)
> :) .

Great to see your interest in this.

> There were basically two ideas running in tracker 1. QTextEdit's improved
> HTML support (which will of-course need good time and effort ) 2. a WebKit
> based editor (which will require to rewrite some of the basic things which
> are already implemented in 1).
>
> So, what do you recommend where should I start with. I have also come
> across "blogilo" and tried importing my wordpress blog to that
> application. Blogilo has very few errors when it comes to editing an
> imported HTML document. So I was wondering if we can use a similar thing
> for KMail's HTML editing.

The first thing would be making replying/forwarding preserve the HTML format,
which is actually independent of the GUI editor. Right now when
replying/forwarding a message, a new message that is the reply/forward is
created. That new message already lacks the HTML part, which is the main
problem in the whole story. So first KMail needs to be fixed to include a HTML
part in replies/forwards.

After that is done, an improved GUI editor can be investigated, the best bet
here is probably Webkit, as Torgny said.
What is Blogilo based on, Webkit or QTextEdit?

Regards,
Thomas