[Kde-pim] Free-busy integration in KDEPIM - Osnabrück outcome

Grégory Oestreicher greg at kamago.net
Sat Mar 19 13:34:57 GMT 2011

Hi All,

I've finally made public the work I started in the KDEPIM meeting in Osnabrück
pertaining to the free-busy integration (yeah, it was about time).

There are three official repos clones to get to have everything working:

- git://anongit.kde.org/clones/kdepimlibs/goestreicher/freebusy-provider
  This adds a new base class that can be inherited by Akonadi resources,
  FreeBusyProviderBase, that exports over D-Bus the necessary interface
  to query F/B information. This also adds new pure virtual methods that
  the resource must implement. Hopefully the comments should give enough
  information, but if that's not the case send your comments and I'll
  update this.

- git://anongit.kde.org/clones/kdepim/goestreicher/freebusy-provider
  This extends the FreeBusyManager in two ways. One is to add the new F/B
  retrieval mechanism before the "groupware way", which was based on an
  URL build with the email address to get F/B info for. Now all resources
  that have the 'FreeBusyProvider' capability are queried. If none answers
  positively (for short, once again comments provide more information)
  then there is a fallback on the groupware mechanism.
  The other extension is to add a new method to retrieve F/B info for
  a limited period.

- git://anongit.kde.org/clones/kdepim-runtime/goestreicher/freebusy-provider
  This is the PoC of the free-busy retrieval, using the DAV groupware
  resource. You need a CalDav server obviously, and a compliant one. I'm
  not sure that this will work with Google calendar for example. I've
  successfully tested this with Davical and I'm eager to hear successes
  or failures with other implementations.

All of this will be submitted to reviewboard after KDEPIM 4.6 is released, as
kdepimlibs has been changed, and hopefully should find its way into KDEPIM
4.7. Feel free to comment before the official review :)

Finally I'd like to thank all the people that were here in Osnabrück. KDEPIM
is really a great community to get involved into, and this meeting really
boosted my involvment, or at least the will to involve myself more (talk about
free time). You guys rock.

Cheers,
Grégory