[Kde-pim] Re: lead for GSoC proposal on HTML support to KMail

Torgny Nyblom kde at nyblom.org
Thu Mar 31 10:25:53 BST 2011

> 2011/3/30 Thomas McGuire <mcguire at kde.org>
>
>> Hi,

>> the
>> message.
>> >
>> > That means that to enable html replying, we need to change
>> TemplateParser
>> > _and_ replace QTextEdit (or any layer above that) with a html aware
>> editor
>> > component?
>>
>> Yes, both need to be done. The most important step is changing the
>> TemplateParser to be HTML-aware.
>>
> Then next step then is to replace QTextEdit with some webkit component.
>> That step is only needed because as Ingo said, "QTextEdit would have
>> totally
>> corrupted any mildly advanced HTML message". Not sure how bad QTextEdit
>> is
>> here. But anyway, without making the TemplateParser HTML-aware, there
>> would
>> be
>> no mildly advanced HTML that could be corrupted :)
>>
>> Me and Torgny Nyblom discussed it on IRC too. Torgny was quiet happy
>> with
> the idea of preserving the code and add an editor for enriched text. We
> can/should give user to choose between the type of message
> (plain/enriched)
> he want to receive. This can be handled by TemplateParser.

Thomas and I had a chat last evening and the plan that arised was:

1: Fix the templateparser to be able to preserve HTML.
2: In KDEPIM::MessageComposer remove the KMeditor and make that into an
abstract interface that the former KMeditor implements (for non webkit
platforms) and make a new HtmlEdit component that also implements this
interface.
If any code can be shared between these two implementations then that
should be in a protected method in the base class (interface).

The scope (at least initially) in only usage inside the MessageComposer.

@Thomas: did I miss anything?

/Regards
Torgny