[Kde-pim] Re: Renaming "CodingStyle/Korganizer" wiki page. ( Was: Kdepim coding style: indentation )

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 19:29:41 GMT 2011

--===============0652735395==

--nextPart5334603.XufgHzjyI1

On Thursday 10 March 2011, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Thu, March 10, 2011 9:11 am, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 March 2011 01:17:44 David Jarvie wrote:
> >> However, I don't think it's desirable to enforce 2-space
> >> indentation for all other modules or sub-modules, even new ones,
> >> when the majority of people seem to prefer 4 spaces. I would
> >> advocate allowing kdelibs style for new modules as an
> >> alternative.
> >=20
> > Not that my application is part of kdepim, but if it ever would be
> > I could already tell you now that enforcing the kdepim
> > condingstyle would make me think twice before including it. So
> > IMHO it would be an unncessary barrier for new apps.
> >=20
> > It's clear that a codingstyle is needed on a per
> > application/library basis, but I don't see why it has to be for
> > the whole module.
> >=20
> > I'm myself also more comfortable with the kdelibs style, but I'm
> > not even sure if "any" codyingstyle should be enforced for the
> > whole kdepim module.
> >=20
> > Such things should be left up to the devs of those apps, it should
> > be "fun" to write your code after all .
>=20
> What you say makes good sense. It should be up to the maintainers of
> each individual app or library to decide what coding style to use.

True. And that's exactly what we are already doing since a long time.=20
The thing is that the maintainers of most of the apps and libs in kdepim=20
do agree on the coding style, namely on the one documented in the wiki.=20
So far the only exception is KAlarm (plus libs).

What I want (in this order) is:
a) Clearly document which apps and libs the KOrganizer coding style=20
applies to.
b) Give the KOrganizer coding style a more generic name. I think naming=20
it KDE PIM coding style is perfectly okay even if there are a few=20
apps/libs in kdepim which the coding style does not apply to.
[...]
z) Switch to the kdelibs coding style or to a variant thereof.

Obviously, it would be good if David documented the KAlarm coding style=20
somewhere if it is not yet documented.

Regards,
Ingo