[Kde-pim] Re: IMAP filtering doesn't work?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jun 30 21:03:32 BST 2011

On Monday 23 May 2011, Enda Cronnolly wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2011 10:53:04 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2011, 17:32:52 schrieb Andreas Gungl:
> > > While KMail1 works fine for me, I'm also a "victim" of the broken
> > > filtering on incoming messages for an IMAP account. I'm using the
> > > most recent OpenSUSE RPMs in the office. And while I hve most of
> > > my filters set up in Sieve, I often use additional filters for
> > > short periods directly in KMail. This never worked for me in
> > > KMail2.
> >
> > If you use the kdepim46 repo makes sure that you "downgrade" your
> > packages. I was using xy-4.6.git packages until I realised that
> > the 4.5.96 packages seem to contain more recent code.
> >
> > I cannot check my other computer but could it be that if sieve is
> > enabled kmail filters don't work?
>
> I would imagine he has sieve enabled on the server and configured
> from the server rather than from kmail, its the norm, avoids
> nastiness if a server like dovecot which has implemented imap push
> notifies all connected clients of a new mail and they all try to
> client side filter at the same message at the same time. Not a huge
> risk thankfully since no other MUA other than kmail attempts client
> side filtering of imap messages. In that light, bad idea or handy
> feature, choice is yours!

Apparently, you have never used Thunderbird. Thunderbird does support
client-side filtering of IMAP messages. I know this for a fact since
I've been using this feature for years.

I totally agree with you that server-side filtering should be preferred,
but you are ignoring the fact that many people have no choice because
their provider does not offer server-side filtering or he offers just
very basic filtering options. Luckly for those people there are mail
clients like KMail and Thunderbird which do support client-side
filtering of IMAP messages.

Regards,
Ingo