[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.6.0 - some experiences, some user interface feedback

greve at kolabsys.com greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Jun 22 16:12:40 BST 2011

Hi all,

In an act of bravery, and to help find the glitches, I have been switching to
KDEPIM 4.6.0 on my laptop running Fedora FC 15 and first of all I'd like to say
that I am REALLY REALLY happy to see the progress made.

So as my first feedback I'd like to emphasise that I am totally convinced that
releasing now was the right thing to do, and would like to thank everyone for
the great work done on this.

I explicitly like where this is going and there are some areas that work a lot
better than before, in particular the address book is now much better, the
event creation dialogue has seen huge improvement, and there are many things
that already work very well.

I can and am using KDE PIM 4.6.0 productively, thanks to all of you!

That said, there are a couple of itches which I'd like to share.

Some of this might go into the issue tracker, I guess, but others are more
questions of usability and represent a choice that is probably better
discussed on list.

 * Offline mode:

	When Kontact is turned to offline mode, I cannot access my email because
	Kontact then tells me that I'm in offline mode and offers me to turn back
	into online mode. Considering that I am using dsconnected IMAP for all my
 	accounts and a primary usage scenario for Kontact being offline usage,
	this is not so good.

 * Moving mail

	Moving mail within an account, or to another account is very slow, and
	does not seem to happen in batch, but rather one by one.

	This would be less of a problem if it did not influence the selection in
	the message list. The moving mail routine seems to assume that things
	happen instantaneously, and then reposition the selection to the next
	message in the message list.

	But in reality I am already in another message list where this behaviour
 	looks like random selection of messages, e.g. I set a couple of messages
	to move, go to another folder, select a message for display, and suddenly
	the selection jumps to another message which I did not want to see.

	It gets more dangerous when I clean out that other folder and I have
	accidentally deleted the wrong mail this way.

 * Default alarm setting for shared calendars

	It seems that for shared calendards by other users, the default alarm
	setting is to bring up the alarm for these calendars - and even when
	the calendar is not selected for display.

	I'd suggest to have the default setting reversed to only bring up
	alarms/reminders for a users' own calendars.

 * Side by side view for calendar

	Right now side-by-side view shows all calendars, regardless of whether
	they are selected or not. That makes the view unusable for me as I have
	quite a few calendars I can display.

	Here is a radical question:

	How hard would it be to allow users to define tabs themselves as a
	selection of parameters, in particular:

		* name for the view (to be shown in tab)
		* which calendars to display
		* overlay or side-by-side view

	which would allow the user to define their own views on arbitrary
	selections of the data available...

These are currently the most important points from my personal usage
experience. Let me know which ones you think should go into the issue tracker
and I'll file them.

Best regards,
Georg

--