[Kde-pim] Date/Time in KF5 / Qt5

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Jun 29 20:54:48 BST 2011

Hi,

This is the second email in the series of three looking at KLocale in
Frameworks 5.  This email covers Date/Time, so I have also cc'ed the PIM
mailing list for their input.

As with QLocale, the lack of features in QDateTime has forced KDE to create
our own solutions such as KDateTime, KLocalizedDate and KCalendarSystem at the
cost of interoperability with pure-Qt code.  In KF5/Qt5 I want to work to
resolve this problem by implementing full support for our required features in
Qt.  The discussions held at QtCS were very promising on being able to achieve
this.  You can find the notes at
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/groups/qt_contributors_summit/wiki/QDateTime

Time Zones: A feature everyone wants but no-one seems to have the expertise or
time to do.  The general consensus was that a new QTimeZone class was required
to be embedded in QDateTime with an api based around the Unix/Olsen time
zones, but using the host platform time zone system in the background.  This
is the same concept as KTimeZone so should meet our requirements.  I'll be
trying to co-ordinate this, but I need people to step up and take on the
implementation.  Ideally the authors of our time zone support will be willing
to port their own code over, or at least review other peoples code
submissions.  If not all the most advanced time zone features of KDateTime are
accepted we can probably put them into a support class.

Calendar Systems: The basic concept has been accepted, but the exact details
remain to be worked out, but this is one I'm taking on.  A number of
associated new features will be added as well.

Date formatting:  Current Qt formatting support is rather basic, but Qt have
agreed that full Unicode CLDR formatting support is desirable which I will
work on implementing.  This however may not be sufficient for KDE as we
currently use POSIX formats, and Qt does not do complex translations for month
names (e.g. Arabic).  In this case I will implement KDateTimeFormatter/Parser
support classes to meet our needs.

Duration:  A number of Qt community members have a merge request for this
already, but I feel it needs some clean-up.  It would be great if an
experienced KDE eye could look at this as it is likely to end up in Qt5.

If all goes well we should be able to drop most if not all of our own
date/time code.  Those features that Qt choose not to support can be
implemented in KDE support classes so long as the core QDateTime class
container holds and exposes all the data we need.  Plan B if this fails is to
simply carry on as before.  The signs are however that Qt is willing to let us
take the lead in implementing all this.

The major disadvantage is like the KLocale/QLocale change it will break source
compatibility.  We will move the old classes into KDE4Support to ease the
transition.  Thankfully most of our API and code uses QDateTime and QDate
anyway, and most of the method names were deliberately kept the same in KDE
and Qt, so it is only formatting/parsing method calls and the time zone api
that might need changing.

If anyone can spot any problems with the plan, or wants to help with the
implementation, please speak up!

Cheers!

John.