[Kde-pim] Re: KMime::Content::fromUnicodeString() considered harmful

Torgny Nyblom nyblom at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 19:43:26 BST 2011

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 18.13.34 Guy Maurel wrote:
[...]
> We should learn and apply a "better" way of work:
> - first, write **the** documentation, diskuss about this and freeze.
>   It is **what** the function/method has to do, what the user expects to
> get.
>
> - second, write some code to achieve the goals described first. It might
> occur that such a discovery is found --> the code has to be corrected. If
> the old code is "interessant", then we have to defined a new API for this,
> not the contrary.
>
> This way gives the oppurtunity for newcomers (such as I), to understand what
> a function is doing, how a program (kmail) should work **before** readinmg
> a line of code. It would also very much easier to fix a bug.
>
> Other meanings?

Good in theory but I think that it is a bit too strict for a project driven by
a community.

We should do everything we can too keep the documentation and code in sync and
any discrepancy should be handled on a case by case policy. In some cases the
bug is probably in the code and in some in the documentation. To put a 100%
freeze on one would not be good in my opinion.

/Regards
Torgny