[Kde-pim] Re: KDEPIM 4.6.0 - some experiences, some user interface feedback

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Jun 23 08:12:23 BST 2011

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 17:12:40 greve at kolabsys.com wrote:
>  * Offline mode:
>
> 	When Kontact is turned to offline mode, I cannot access my email because
> 	Kontact then tells me that I'm in offline mode and offers me to turn back
> 	into online mode. Considering that I am using dsconnected IMAP for all my
>  	accounts and a primary usage scenario for Kontact being offline usage,
> 	this is not so good.

Are you using the 3 column KMail layout? I fixed a bug with exactly that
symptoms only affecting this layout some time ago, I have to check if the fix
made it into 4.6.0.

>  * Default alarm setting for shared calendars
>
> 	It seems that for shared calendards by other users, the default alarm
> 	setting is to bring up the alarm for these calendars - and even when
> 	the calendar is not selected for display.
>
> 	I'd suggest to have the default setting reversed to only bring up
> 	alarms/reminders for a users' own calendars.

I noticed this as well. The selection for display in KOrganizer has no effect
on this anymore, but that's intentional since you now can have different
display sets in different applications (the Plasma panel clock is one
example). However, I guess that we lost/ignore one of the alarm related Kolab
folder settings now. Local blocking still seems to work, but IIRC there was
another one, coming from the server. I haven't really investigated that yet
though.

>  * Side by side view for calendar
>
> 	Right now side-by-side view shows all calendars, regardless of whether
> 	they are selected or not. That makes the view unusable for me as I have
> 	quite a few calendars I can display.
>
> 	Here is a radical question:
>
> 	How hard would it be to allow users to define tabs themselves as a
> 	selection of parameters, in particular:
>
> 		* name for the view (to be shown in tab)
> 		* which calendars to display
> 		* overlay or side-by-side view
>
> 	which would allow the user to define their own views on arbitrary
> 	selections of the data available...

That's definitely where I would like to go as well. A first and necessary step
into that direction was the feature Sergio explained already (done as part of
one of the E5 projects btw). But eventually I'd like to have the ability to
create my own tabs and have an arbitrary combination of side-by-side and
merged calendars in there, easily manageable using e.g. drag&drop :)

regards
Volker