[Kde-pim] Re: distro considering akonadi -DDATABASE_BACKEND=SQLITE

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Jul 17 10:49:25 BST 2011

On Wednesday 13 July 2011 20:00:43 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2011, 14:32:48 schrieb İsmail Dönmez:
> > Hi;
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> > > With my fedora packager/maintainer hat on, we're seriously considering
> > > building akonadi to use sqlite storage backend by default.  This is
> > > largely to enhance our livecd experience as well as be more friendly for
> > > home-on-nfs
> > > setups.
> > >
> > > Any comments or objections?
> >
> > I'd say amen to that, mysql dependency is really bad for a desktop
> > program.
> > I wonder how is the relative performance , at least feeling wise. Any
> > words
> > on that?
>
> I know from another project (Kraft)  where sqlite is really slower than
> mysql. But that might be different for akonadi, I don't know.

Yes, Sqlite is slower (~2-5x on the query level last time we measured), but
still somewhere in the milliseconds range, so that's not such a big issue. The
real problem is the lack of real concurrency support in Sqlite, which requires
a very crude transaction serialization in Akonadi that can block clients while
another one is accessing the data. This is one of the main issues Akonadi
tries to solve compared to KMail 1, and the main reason we do not recommend
Sqlite as the default.

See also http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database .

regards
Volker