[Kde-pim] Re: Akonadi update conflicts

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Jul 1 16:42:49 BST 2011

On Fri, July 1, 2011 12:13 pm, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Fri, July 1, 2011 11:29 am, Sérgio Martins wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:03:02 David Jarvie wrote:
>>> I notice that in kdepim-users list, there have been some complaints
>>> about
>>> the Akonadi conflict resolution dialog appearing in kmail. Users don't
>>> necessarily understand what this is for, or how to select which option
>>> choose.
>>>
>>> Previously in KAlarm, I found that I couldn't avoid frequent conflict
>>> resolution dialogs which occurred due to updates in quick succession
>>> not
>>> being handled in strict order, and in the end had to disable revision
>>> checking and implement a queueing mechanism, which seems to work.
>>
>> It can also happen if the application has Akonadi::Item 's all over the
>> place
>> in memory, and forgets to update them whenever the item changes in the
>> server side.
>>
>> Then, when it executes an ItemModifyJob on one of these old Items,
>> you'll
>> see the conflict dialog, because the item doesn't have the latest
>> revision.
>>
>> In Korg we store mostly Item::Id 's, then when we need the item we ask
>> the calendar, which has all the items and keeps them updated.
>
> I can't remember the precise details now - it was a while ago - but I was
> doing updates through EntityTreeModel, which should have avoided such
> problems. Of course, there is always the possibility that it's been fixed
> by now, but at that time it just couldn't handle multiple updates quickly.

The threads which discussed this were at [1] and [2]. Both threads address
issues which many applications are likely to encounter, so some more
generic way of handling them would be useful.

[1]
http://kde.markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Akde-pim%20entitytreemodel%20conflict#query:list%3Akde-pim%20entitytreemodel%20conflict+page:1+mid:ywuskbpk4j4wtuoi+state:results

[2]
http://kde.markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Akde-pim%20entitytreemodel%20conflict#query:list%3Akde-pim%20entitytreemodel%20conflict+page:1+mid:mne7eif74swgddhl+state:results