[Kde-pim] Re: Changing key shortcuts in KMail

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Jul 3 15:34:05 BST 2011

On Sunday 03 July 2011 15:33:48 José Millán Soto wrote:
> 2011/7/3 Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org>:
> > On Saturday 02 July 2011 19:32:07 José Millán Soto wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm working in making KMail fully usable by keyboard (as part of the
> >> SOC "KMail, Kopete and Dolphin accessibility ") and I think some of
> >> the default key shortcuts should be changed.
> >>
> >> For example using Alt+t for opening a new tab creates a conflict with
> >> the "Tools" menu. Also, setting the Up and Down keys to scroll the
> >> current message makes it difficult to browse folders with keyboard (as
> >> even if the folder list is focused, the Up and Down keys will always
> >> make the current message scroll).
> >>
> >> I propose changing Alt+t for opening a new tab to Ctrl + Shift + t,
> >> and the scroll message shortcut to Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down.
> >
> > I'm fine with the tab shortcut changes, that looks like a simple bug to
> > me.
> >
> > But I'd object to the scroll shortcut changes. The "focus-less" keyboard
> > navigation in KMail is intentional, and many of our users are used to
> > that.
> > You can navigate through the message list using Left/Right (selection) and
> > Alt+Left/Right/Space (current item). Note that the latter is hard to see
> > with the Oxygen style, if you try with e.g. Platique you see how it is
> > supposed to work.
>
> The main problem is navigating the folder list. You can use
> Alt+Up/Down, but I don't think this is intuitive.
> What do you think of keeping up and down to scroll the message if
> either the message view or the message list is focused but set it to
> navigate folder list if the folder list is focused?

Folder list works similar to the message list, just with Ctrl instead of Alt.

The whole point of this maybe somewhat non-standard behaviour is that it works
the same no matter what part has the focus. This is extremely convenient for
pure keyboard navigation, esp. since the focus indicator is only barely
visible on the three main area (folder list, message list, message view).

regards
Volker