[Kde-pim] Re: mixedmaildir akonadi resource

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jul 21 10:00:05 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-07-21, laurent Montel wrote:
> Hi,
> Yesterday I decide to move all my emails from mixedmaildir (created when I
> migrated my emails from kmail1) to maildir directly.
>
> Not really easy because:
> -> when we create a new folder and just dnd emails in new folder, it copys
> just header from email => a big bug here. Don't know why

Check if you have ExternalPayload=false in your akonadiserverrc

> And other bug when I dnd a folder directly from mixed to maildir resouces
> it doesn't copy mails.... not good too. I don't know why.

Would be interesting to know if the resource got the retrieveItem calls for
all messages that had to be moved.

> So after that I created a maildir resource and use path from my email (
> ~/Mail), and after that I can really use KMail2.
>
> I think that mixedmaildir is not optimized :(
> It takes a lot of cpu when we access to folder.

It uses ResourceBase::retrieveCollections() which uses ItemSync.
Currently in the least advanced mode, we could try changing to incremental
mode or by-pass the resource base implementation entirely (like Volker did for
the an improved variant of maildir).

> I think that we must optimize it or (better) create a programme to migrate
> to maildir all old kmail1 folders.

We could provide an import or convert option for those willing to move to pure
maildir (i.e. don't need mbox folders).
Would take too long for migration, but as an explicitly started process this
should be OK.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring