[Kde-pim] A FYI - a GPG problem that affects KMail

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Jul 1 19:34:25 BST 2011

I recently encountered problems with GPG.  A correspondent had somehow got
corruption on his private key and had to create a new one.  No matter what I
did, I could not make KMail use the new key in preference to the old one, so I
went to the GPG users list to explore the problem.

It seems that where a correspondent has an older trusted key and a new one is
installed, GPG will always use the first one it encounters, no matter what the
preferences are in KMail.  My problem was cured by marking his old keys as
untrusted.

This is undeniable a GPG bug, not a KDE one, but it is something that you
should be aware of.  I don't know whether there is any way you can ensure that
KMail's preference settings override GPG's normal behaviour, but at least if
you come across complaints about this, you now know why and what the user can
do about it.

HTH

Anne