[Kde-pim] Re: credit where credit is due

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sat Jan 1 19:50:36 GMT 2011

> [: Ingo Klöcker :]
> Hmm. So how would your name appear in your language?
>   Часлав Илић (Chusslove Illich)
> or just
>   Часлав Илић ?

The norm for texts in my language would be the latter, just the original
name. However, this particular case is slightly weird in that even the
transcription can be useful to a speaker of my language (e.g. if he wants to
search through the web pages in English as well). So this is something to
think about. At any rate, leaving out the original is what would be
downright strange (to me: unacceptable).

> And in which form does one have to write the names in KAboutData?

This is an interesting question. Given that messages directly in the code
are supposed to be in American English, as you noted, I suppose that some
form of romanization (transcription or transliteration into a Latin script)
of the name should be always present. And this is the current state.

But, should one also add the original form? For example:

  aboutData.addAuthor(ki18n("Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)"));

I think this would make sense. For one, to me it just feels right to have
the "source" form. More practically, romanizations tend to fluctuate over
time and places (look up just about any scientist on Wikipedia whose
original name is not in a Latin script), the original form being much more
stable. It would also eliminate the problem of "re-transliteration" that you
observed. There is no technical problem to this in KDE sources, which must
be UTF-8 encoded as *i18n() assumes UTF-8 literals.

However, this being just my opinion, I would never ask someone else (a
maintainer) to do so. I will only do it this way when it is up to me. E.g.
that's how I record contributor names in stuff under my maintenance, and
that's how I've set up my identity to show in Git commits.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)