[Kde-pim] Re: How Resources and Collections play together

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Jan 15 16:38:09 GMT 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011 14:09:51 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Fri, January 14, 2011 1:37 pm, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > On Friday 14 January 2011 13:04:07 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> >> If I want to have a trash collections for items of various mimetypes,
> >> can I create a collection directly from my app, without a resource? I
> >> just want to keep the items there for a couple of days and then
> >> delete them.
> >
> > You can create a collection directly from your app, but a collection
> > always
> > belongs to a resource. For example the trash collection in KMail is
> > owned
> > by
> > the maildir resource, and some IMAP resources also have trash
> > collections.
> >
> >> Would it make sense to create a trash resource, which accepts all
> >> kinds
> >> of
> >> mimetypes, and deletes the items after a configured time, or is that
> >> not
> >> the purpose of resources?
> >
> > I would somehow prefer having a trash collection in each resource where
> > it is
> > needed (maildir, IMAP etc). No idea though how that would work with ical
> > resources, which only have a single collection right now. Maybe a trash
> > resource here would make sense.
>
> It's possible to create multiple ical collections (which implies multiple
> ical resources), each collection being stored in a separate calendar file.
> So for a trash collection, you could create another ical
> resource/collection which would use a different calendar file.
>
> AFAIK it's agents which can't be duplicated, whereas one agent (e.g. ical)
> can have multiple resources.

In practise this is true for most agent/resource types. But let me add a few
details.

An agent is something that works on Akonadi data and is managed by the Akoandi
server (as opposed to by the user). By default you can create multiple
instances of an agent. Since this doesn't make sense in some cases, this can
be disabled in the .desktop file by adding the "Unique" capability. A resource
is just a special type of an agent, one that connects Akonadi to a data
source.

While I'm not aware of a multi-instance non-resource agent, the Kolab resource
for example can only exist in a single instance (since this one instance can
handle multiple accounts).

regards
Volker