[Kde-pim] Using KDE branches with git

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Jan 24 14:03:39 GMT 2011

What is the best way to organise trunk and other KDE branches in local git
clones? I'll use the example of kdepim trunk and 4.4, for which I want to
maintain builds of each. Presumably if I create a local branch to mirror
the remote 4.4 branch in the same local git repository as trunk, whenever
I switch between trunk and 4.4 I'll have to rebuild kdepim completely
whenever I want to build anything. That would suggest that the best
practical way is to have separate local repositories for trunk and 4.4, so
that switching branches doesn't force a rebuild.

If not, how can I avoid having to completely rebuild every time I switch
branches?

This question also has relevance to local major feature branches, which
also tend to trigger significant rebuilds when switching branches.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.